Saturday 25 July 2015

Day 46, Graz, Austria

Outdoor Museum
Another nice day in Graz. Spent some time this morning organising and booking my Asia part of the trip as had been waiting for a) good wifi and b) not being so blimmen hot I couldn't be bothered doing anything and c) having some time and not needing to 'hit the road ' 
So, booked what I wanted to. This afternoon went to an Open Air Museum, all about Austria in the last 200-300 years. All interesting , but wouldn't you know it. For 6 weeks I have carried my rain jacket with me everywhere, and the day I decide to take it out of the car as I am rearranging luggage, it buckets down and I'm at an outdoor museum! Grr
Next were the caves, a wee town nearby. I had just missed the start of the tour, but if I drove to the other entrance I could catch them there. She phoned ahead to make sure they'd wait for me. The other entrance was 26 k's away, but found it fine. Was greeted by a lovely gent in his early 70's, who ensured I had something warm to wear and he would take me to the group. He explained things on the way (he was a guide too he told me) and so it was just us for about 10 minutes before we met the group. He told me he was going further in as he had some technical issues to sort and I was welcome to come with him rather than the group. Yes, why not, private tour, and his English was good. He took me to the most awe inspiring huge cave, 40 meters high, 80 wide and 120 long. He had to sort out some music problems (music I thought) and so, have a wander about if you like. So I walked down the steps, as we had entered from the top. Spotlights in place, beautiful stalagmites. Then the music started, he'd obviously fixed it. Absolutely breathtaking, to be there, all alone, the best acoustics, it brought me close to tears! Goosebumps stuff and not due to the coolness in the cave. When the rest of the group caught up, my 'guide' gave me the option of going back with him or continuing the tour with the others. I felt I had experienced this at its best, and joining the group would not add to the event, so I walked back with him.
Too difficult to photograph, shame
Stalagmites

No comments:

Post a Comment