Saturday 4 July 2015

Day 25, Bisceglia to Matera, Italy

Watch tower in Molfetta
Started the day with a great breakfast. I mention this, as often when the breakfast is included it turns out to be packaged dry toast with some jam and coffee(thank goodness I like the last part). However, this morning's was all that and so much more. Fresh fruit, yoghurt, fresh croissants, boiled eggs, ham, cereals and yes, coffee! Yum.
Molfetta harbour
On my way to my next stop, Matera, I stopped in the next town over from where I stayed last night. The town Molfetta is again right on the Adriatic coast, on old fishing town, and just cute as a button. I only stopped to find a money machine as they seem to be few and far between here in the south. I ended up in the historic part of the town at the information centre as I had trouble finding one, and I was pointed to I think the one and only in town! However, what a lovely stop, ended up wandering into an old house that was being renovated, built in the 1500's, a guy gave me a tour, it used to be the towns defense post, complete with watch tower. Very interesting. 
And now Matera. I heard about this town on a tv programme, presented by the lady who also does the 'Hotel Inspector', Italian lady, and she did a great coverage of this town. I will write more about the town tomorrow; I am here for two nights so tomorrow is the big explore. But I have hit the jackpot in accommodation tonight! 
Huge apartment right in the centre, first floor above a Piazza. It sleeps 5, a huge lounge, kitchen, 2 bedrooms. Last minute deal (steal) at €50 per night. Lovely owners who met me, very hospitable, coffee downstairs and now bliss, on the balcony with a drink. A quick ( 2 hour) explore of Matera in the evening and finding a town humming; shops, eateries, a piano player right outside in the Piazza. This is great.
My own balcony overlooking the Piazza
This place is bigger than my house!



Piazza lit up for a special festival, concert on tonight as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment