Friday 24 July 2015

Day 45, Graz, Austria

Graz
Loving Austria! The town I am staying in, well city, is the second largest in Austria after Vienna. It is actually the birthplace of Arnold Schwarzenegger. I had booked for two nights in my apartment but added another night, it's nice to not have to pack up and move all the time and the apartment is comfortable.
Grocery shopping this morning, as I can cook my own dinner tonight, good one. Then into town to have a look around. Nice town,old. The most noticeable is a hill plonked right in the middle of town, with an old stronghold on top, and nearby a clock tower that looks like it's been chopped off at the neck!
The clock tower from 1256
Inside the 'hill' are numerous tunnels which were used in the war as bomb shelters. 
The Dome
Second unusual sight is a glass 'dome' in the middle of the river Mur, which runs through the city. It holds a cafe and a very small amphitheater, so had some afternoon tea there.
It's great to be able to make myself understood; my German has stayed with me thankfully. I got my glasses fixed, as the other day I dropped them and popped a lens out. I had my spare pair, but needed to get the other ones fixes, so all sorted.
It got to 32 today, so much better than high30's. When it cooled down a bit tonight I went for a walk; my feet have not really cooperated this last week, but it was so pleasant to be out in the 'cooler' evening!
Steps up to the strong hold

No comments:

Post a Comment