Thursday 23 July 2015

Day 44, Tricesimo Italy to Graz, Austria!

Destination Austria
Well, first have to write about the great part of my day...
My hosts' son appeared this morning, spoke some English and keen to practice so we had a great chat about travel, their business (being an 'Agriturismo' they also have a farm) and how hard it is in the heat and no irrigation (too expensive). The hottest and driest it's been in 15 years.
So that and the lovely breakfast with fresh fruit made for a good start. The drive towards Austria was stunning, no other word to describe it. The Alps rise sharply and every which way I looked was beautiful. I tried to stop a couple of times for photos, but quite hard to capture. At one point I was between a couple of tunnels, looked left and went, wow, picked upmy camera and just pointed and clicked before going into the next tunnel(nowhere to stop) and it turned out great.
Point & click, lucky turnout!
At one point I stopped, took some pictures and thoroughly enjoyed it being 27 degrees and so pleasant to get out of the car. I was all philosophical and thinking, I may be getting poorer every day (well, I am, spending and not earning), but I am really getting richer, for all the things I am seeing.
So, all happy thoughts and experiences. 
Quiet roads
Next the Austrian border. I was intrigued, sign says 'Austria 1 km', then 'Austria 500 meters'. I  am looking and waiting for the sign 'Austria ' to take a picture. Didn't happen, so I am thinking wow, just like that, new country! Then a checkpoint, and I got pulled over. Papers, drivers license, all good. Then the bloody bombshell, I didn't have a special sticker to drive on the motorway in Austria. I had totally missed the sign it seems. Argh...€120 fine. Shit, there went all the good stuff. Bread and water for the next few day!
Add caption
Found my accommodation straight away, a sweet little apartment, kitchen and everything. Clouds forming, rumbling, thunder, lightning and next hail! Honest to goodness hail. A nice cool 26 degrees for a walk later, pleasant change indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment