Monday 6 July 2015

Day 27, Matera to Crosia, Italy

I did take photos!
View from the town square.
If you look real hard you can see the sea.
Between a late night due to another party in the Piazza and an early wake up call from the church bells chiming at 5.45, I didn't get a whole lot of sleep, but that's okay. Left Matera today, I really enjoyed my stay here. On the way south I stopped at a town with archaeological treasures. I did find them but couldn't muster up too much enthusiasm for sightseeing due to the temperature hitting 41 degrees today! So, quick photos and back in the car. Destination Crosia, towards the 'heel' of Italy's 'boot'
The journey today

It was a beautiful drive; this province, Calabria, seems cleaner and greener than where I have just been, Apulia. The fact a large part of the drive was just along the ocean certainly added to the scenic aspect. My town tonight is Crosia, at a B&B. The town is teeny, only slightly larger than Vellano. My host is extremely welcoming. He runs the B&B with his dad, and has not long been open. The house is from the 1700's and beautifully restored. He showed me downstairs, where he is building a Bread Museum. Told me all about what is going where, the little shop, bathrooms, the huge stone that ground the flour, which is going under a big glass plate, so you can stand on it and watch the mechanism. All this and more, without him speaking English nor me Italian. How about that! The town is so little it does not have any restaurant or cafe (but a church), so dinner will be served here tonight by Antonio and his dad. They taught themselves to cook after dad split up from mum. I can't wait, dinner served at 8.30 and I'm starving!.
Crosia
A wee walk around town, it's still hot at 7.00 pm. Such a typical scene; the men sitting in the town square in the shade, playing cards, and the women sit in their doorways on a kitchen chair. Buonasera!
Home for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment