Monday 24 August 2015

Day 76, Alcale de Henares to Madrid, Spain

Fountains everywhere
Striking architecture
at every corner
So, packed my bags and moved into Madrid today, and right in the heart, only 200 meters from Puerta del Sol. I didn't realise either, but that's the major square in Madrid. Off course parking is a nightmare as everywhere is pedestrians only, so to find a hotel that offers parking (even if that is €15.00 per day) is a challenge, but I managed. So, here I am. I first got my nails done, a treat after almost 3 months, then went and hired a bike for my time here, as I think it's by far the easiest and most fun way to see the city. My first stop was in the huge park, where we had already been on the tour yesterday. Had an ice cream and got chatting to a guy who was selling paintings. He was from Israel, had been in Madrid for 33 years now, and just great to talk to.
Jonathan the painter from Israel
His English was very good, he was telling me about all the people he meets while sitting on his wee bench, waiting for a sale. His name was Jonathan and just a real treasure of a man, I must have been there close to an hour. Bike parked up for the night, such a great city to bike around in!
Puerta del Sol

No comments:

Post a Comment