Thursday 20 August 2015

Day 72, Huesca, Spain

Huesca fountain, one of many
For all of you who think that my entire time in Spain is being spent drinking beer and eating tapas, I have news. I actually did something very cultural today and took a tour of the most important historical sites in Huesca; a church, a Cathedral, the Town Hall and the Museum that used to be part of the Castle.
Monastary by the church dated  1096

So much history in one small town. The church dates from 1096, the Cathedral 1500's and the town hall around then too. The guide did her best trying to translate for me, but as I was the only English speaking one in a group of 45, there was little time. Goes to show I am off the beaten track though, very few English here, only the occasional French.
Roman Cathedral
I'm starting to find my feet in Spain, it's very strange coming to a different country again. You would think after Italy and France it would be easy, but each country is quite different and when I first arrive I need to get used to it. 
I was extremely daring this morning (you ladies will get this, guys won't) and got myself a cut and colour! An exercise in patience from the hairdresser, lots of gesticulation and we got there. Very happy with the results too! 
I have really enjoyed Huesca. It is clear in Spain the same applies as in Italy; everything shuts between 2.00 and 5.00, except the restaurants, so it's a matter of getting used to and going with the flow.
Dinner doesn't happen till late, it's now 8.15, I'm having a drink but no one is eating yet! My room is right above busy pedestrian area, people were eating outside until 12.30 last night.
Museum garden, which smelled
divinely of pines and freshly cut
grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment