Saturday 15 August 2015

Day 67, Berlou, France

Food halls
Nice dinner last night with my host, talked travel, he's hitchhiker around the South Island, so knows a little about good old NZ. has asked his neighbours to come over for drinks tonight as they've traveled through Spain a fair bit, so will be able to give me some ideas.
Via Domitia
This morning I hopped in the car and drove through some lovely countryside and villages to the seaside town of Narbonne, about 50 minutes away. I had a hard time finding the centre, which sounds funny. But as I was about to give up I saw the sign, and am pleased I did. A nice town, weather is great, mid twenties so not so stifling you want to hide in the shadows. There's a huge hall, with food stalls, seafood, vegetables, cheeses, cakes, wines. Just lovely to wander through. Next I stumbled (as I do, because I don't research much when I go somewhere!) upon a pretty important looking site in the middle of town; lots of people taking photos, so thought I should have a look. It's part of the Via Domitia , which is the old Roman Road from 118 BC, that linked Italy with Spain, through the south of France. At the time Narbonne was an important cross roads and port, where the Via Domitia and the Via Aquitania met (the road across to the Atlantic Ocean on the west coast of France. There you go, a little history lesson for you!
Narbonne
Town square Narbonne

No comments:

Post a Comment