Sunday 23 August 2015

Day 75, Alcala de Henares, visit to Madrid

The Royal Palace of Madrid
Feeling really rather smug with myself today. Was a toss up whether to take the train or car into Madrid, but train involved a lot of walking and my feet are still protesting after yesterday's sightseeing. So, car it was. Found a car park, less than 100 meters from the place I wanted to be, since I also decided to seethe fair city by bike rather than feet. Enough time for a coffee beforehand, awesome planning Sil, if I may say so myself! 
The bike group

And what a cool decision it turned out to be to see Madrid by bike! We had a large group, about 18 of us, Trixi bike tours was the company. Our guide was from Budapest, but had lived in Madrid for 20 years and was very knowledgeable and passionate about the city. Winding through pedestrian areas and special bike paths it always felt safe, the sun came out, and it was so much fun! Afterwards some of us had lunch together, 4 guys from New York and 2 girls from Brazil, who lived in Japan. A great time and  nice to talk English!
Lunch time
Not sure what I had expected of Madrid, but I absolutely love it, so am heading in there tomorrow and stay in the city to soak it up properly.
Oldest restaurant in the world, since 1725
In the huge gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment