Saturday 26 September 2015

Day 109, Algoz Portugal to Ferreirola, Spain


My long drive today 
I don't like saying goodbye, but sadly had to this morning to Bijou. Hopefully she can convince John to get off his bum and commit to some travel in a few years time to those cousins in New Zealand and see me at the same time. It's been great coming back to my 'home base ' in Algarve these last few weeks and Bijou has been most hospitable!
After a long and boring drive I arrived in a more interesting part of Spain (please don't anyone take offence who finds other parts more beautiful; the cities are lovely, but the countryside mundane). Granada is a mountainous area, and a lot greener than other parts I have seen. The road climbed quite steeply and suddenly with a temperature drop of 10 degrees in 5 minutes!
But luckily we got back up to 28 degrees, phew! The sights were quite spectacular and I had to stop a few times just to enjoy. The other thing notable (this is for my own benefit to remember) was the most impressive public toilet I have ever seen! It was at a petrol station, and absolutely spotless. Huge, with a couple of healthy looking pot plants, shiny tiles, beveled mirrors, a coat stand and a wee dish with wrapped sweets!
My wee room
Anyway, on with where I am now! So, I have two weeks at a B&B (http://www.sierraymar.com)
and I work here in exchange for room and board. I arranged it through a website called Workaway.info and it's just great! Inger and her husband have run this B&B since 1985 and it's very cute. Lots of little rooms almost like a wee village, whitewashed and blue doors. I have my own room at the top of the 'village', just small but has all I need including a bathroom and a wee outside sitting area.
My own terrace
Oh, and wifi! So, that's me for the next two weeks. An early night, it was a 6.5 hour drive so quite done in. But happy. And I can't believe that only yesterday morning I was in Morocco!

2 comments: