Wednesday 28 October 2015

Day 141, Barcelona to Figueres, Spain


Salvador Dali Museum 
Ten weeks since I arrived in Spain, and tonight is my last night here. 
I will admit, when I first came into Spain, I wasn't too sure about this country, but it sure has grown on me. I had a couple of 'breaks' away, to Portugal, then back to Seville and Jerez, and later two weeks away in Morocco. Each time I have come back I have enjoyed it though, and I am now quite sad to say goodbye. Hola is such an easy greeting to say when you walk into a shop or cafe, eating out is so cheap and I have found Spanish people to be very friendly and hospitable.
Streets of Figueres 

Today I drove from Barcelona to Figueres, about two and a half hours drive north. I didn't take the motorways today and what a lovely drive it was. The sun was out, the mountains were full of autumn colours, I passed some nice old villages and there was not much traffic on the road either. In the distance though (over the Pyrenees; I'm close to the French border here) I could see a huge cloud, dark as. I wish I had been able to take a picture of it, as I managed to get myself caught in the middle of this huge thunderstorm carried by this cloud! I was having a look through Figueres, a pleasant town, with its claim to fame being the birthplace of Salvador Dali, a surrealist painter.
And more of Figueres 
I had a drink and some tapas and then needed to put more coins in the old parking meter, so started walking, and then it hit! It was full on, and flooded the streets in a matter of minutes! The lightning was spectacular! Thank goodness for me raincoat, although my shoes didn't stand a chance, haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment