Monday 19 October 2015

Day 132. Granada , Spain



This morning I got up at 6.00, in order to get a ticket to visit the most popular attraction in Spain, namely the Alhambra. It's very difficult to obtain tickets; they are sold mainly on line, which are sold out a couple of months in advance. The other option is to queue, as they have a certain number for sale on the day. So I walked up, a brisk 40 minute walk in the dark, and got there at 7.20, to find a big crowd already there. At 8.30 the office opened and by 8.50 tickets into the Palace were all gone, however, tickets for the rest of the gardens, the Alcazabah (fortress) and some more were still available, so decided that while I was there, on top of the hill, I would do that. Still had to wait for those for ages until I finally got in at 9.45. 
Still brave in shorts!

It was well worth the wait though, perched high up above Granada the views alone make the climb worthwhile. The gardens are so pretty, and everything is well maintained. Despite not being able to get into the Palace itself, I appreciate how the number of visitors allowed in each day is so tightly controlled. The whole visit was very relaxing, a chance to really admire all and with plenty of opportunities to take photos without people crowding in.
A wander around town afterwards, I really like Granada. There's a tiny part that's like a Moroccan medina with lots of wee shops, some great browsing there.
Nice views all directions 

Back at the hotel after a lot of walking I had another swim, might as well while I'm here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment