Sunday 25 October 2015

Day 138, Miami Platja to Barcelona, Spain


View from the Park Guell terrace
An extra hour sleep didn't really work, I was awake early. Always a bit of a mission, going into a big city like Barcelona and finding my accommodation/ parking/meeting up with my Airbnb host at a certain time and place, so I wanted to get away early, which I did. Got to agreed place with 20 minutes to spare, and drove straight there, AND found a park, so smooth as. 
First, Airbnb. Haven't mentioned it before I don't think. It's ordinary people who have a spare room (or two), quite often with ensuite, and they take guests. But it's very casual, not like a B&B really. They show you the house, kitchen, your room, give you the keys and make yourself at home. It's cool, as you get to meet locals, and especially in a city like Barcelona, so much cheaper than a hotel. So tonight, private room, bathroom and car park included (which go for €25 p/n) and I'm paying €45 p/n, so bonus! And right in the city centre too.
Salamander fountain 
Anyway....after 'check-in', I walked up to Park Guell, which is off course designed by Gaudi. (http://www.parkguell.org)The huge terrace, with mosaic seating all around, is engineered to catch rainwater, filter it through the sand, to be collected underneath, and used as water for the fountain (the mosaic salamander).
Stone walkway 
It's engineering and architectural designs are very interesting, and the views from the park over Barcelona beautiful.
Unfortunately when I got there at 2.00 I was told the first tickets available to the terrace and fountains were at 5.30, so it was rather a long afternoon, but since I walked all the way up I didn't want to do that again tomorrow! Never mind, I always have my book with me, so time passed just fine.
Gingerbread house? Gaudi style
I really like Barcelona, what I have seen so far obviously, and feel I have left one of the best cities till last!

No comments:

Post a Comment