Tuesday 20 October 2015

Day 133, Granada to Almagra, Spain


Corral de Comedias
Went for another walk into town this morning to the Moroccan medina and some breakfast in town. We had a huge thunderstorm and lots of rain overnight and I noticed at least 90 percent of the locals carry an umbrella. Do we do that at home and I have never noticed? 
Anyway, I stayed dry, back to hotel and hit the road. My drive today took me 250 k's North of Granada to the small town of Almagro. Another big downpour and a ten degrees drop in temperature, but then the sun was out again soon. Came across a horrific accident, the police had just arrived but no ambulance yet, both cars were a mess! 
My accommodation in Almagro is lovely, a really old Spanish farm house, full of antiques, a big room overlooking a wee courtyard.
My room 
The lady who checked me in only spoke Spanish but we made each other understood and then her daughter in law came and checked ten minutes later to make sure all was well. Almagra's claim to fame is it being home to Spain's oldest open air theatre, which I went and visited. Opened in 1628, it actually got closed by some king in the 18th century as he thought all open air play houses were immoral. The building then became an inn, with the theatre being accidentally 'discovered' in 1952 and it's use restored. 
Unfortunately I am feeling a bit blah, cold coming up I think, so I am self medicating with chicken soup and a bourbon! That'll knock it on the head
Chicken soup & bourbon
Will fix my cold ☺️

No comments:

Post a Comment