Monday 14 December 2015

Day 188, Delhi, India to Bangkok, Thailand





And so my time in India has come to an end. What an unbelievable experience, so different from any country I have ever visited but wonderful all the same. 
I was at the airport early for check in, but the queue was huge and took forever, so after that there wasn't much time to kill. My bag is still only 14 kg, so I'm doing well. On one leg of my future flights I'm only allowed 15 kilos, so have to control the buying until after that!
The flight was fairly quick. I got a whiskey on the plane and for whatever reason the hostess gave me two glasses with at least a double in each, so was a pleasant flight, haha. 
I am all about India at the moment, reading the book Shantaram about Mumbai and watched this great movie called 'the Lunchbox'. In Mumbai there is this amazing system where lunch boxes (the stackable tin variety for hot dishes) are collected from a home and delivered to a workplace by this courier system that is incomprehensible but somehow works. So, the movie is a about a housewife who goes out of her way to cook special lunches for her non- attentive husband, but the lunchbox is delivered in error to a single, about-to-retire man, who appreciates her wonderful cooking. A correspondence starts, via the lunch boxes, and it's a charming story. 
I was met at the airport by a driver; I had treated myself and booked a pickup with Intrepid. It was a good 40 minutes drive from the airport, and it struck me straight away; no tooting and everyone stays in their lane. The streets and sidewalks so clean too. 
And then we arrived at the hotel! I actually did a double take, thought he might have dropped me off at the wrong one! It's very posh, live music in the huge reception area, got to my room and wanted to jump on the bed, haha! So clean, spacious, white towels (as opposed to the white/ grey ones in Delhi!) plus there is a pool. I will be a happy camper here for a few days until the your starts on Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment