Sunday 13 December 2015

Day 187, Delhi, India


Akshardham Mandir
Well, that will teach me to jinx things. Yesterday's post I mention I never hear dogs barking, so what do I get for the whole flipped night? Bloody dogs barking, constantly. It did my head in, grr. 
I caught the metro today to a place called Akshardham, which the tour leader had told me about. A huge monument built in 2005, it is very beautiful. An easy ride and only 35 cents on the metro. I chose the Women's only carriage, a few less stares and more smiles! After the metro it was a matter of Follow the Crowd. And then the fun started.
The Murti of Bhagwan Swaminarayan
No cameras, electronic devices, cellphones or handbags allowed in, so queue for the cloakroom, only about 25 minutes. Then queue for the next queue (yes, that's right) to be searched and frisked. About 50 later I finally entered the park. I chatted with a Delhi man while waiting and found out this monument is very much enjoyed by the locals; a Sunday afternoon outing, and I can see why. The grounds were immaculate, the lawns green, the monuments imposing, the carvings very detailed. It was clearly enjoyed by people of all walks of life, what a great (free) respite from the chaos that is Delhi.

The fact you can't take photos is actually nice, no need to think about different shots and angles, you just enjoy what you see. 
Packed the bags tonight, off to Bangkok tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment