Tuesday 16 June 2015

Day 8, Vellano, Pescia, Italy

Exploring the countryside

Well, this morning I decided to hop on the train (saving the hassle of parking) to Florence.
I was well organised, had the train timetable (Google is my friend) and off I went.
Alas, the trains were not running due to a strike. 
So I decided to go for a drive instead, and ended up seeing some lovely tiny villages along the way.
Motorways are super if you want to get from A to B fast, but the little country roads, some barely wide enough to fit two cars, are so much better for the scenery.
My GPS is great, but boy, it let me astray today. My first destination was Villa Basilica, which sits perched high on a hill. The road uphill was cobblestones (this should have given me a clue I guess) and luckily no car came towards me, as I doubt we could have passed.
My friendly GPS lady insisted I drove into the town, but I don't think that would have worked, as the town was much like Vellano, in that the streets were a mere 1.5 meters wide. Fortunately there was room to turn around right there, so I did a 10 point turn and off I went back down hill.

Bagni Di Lucca
A stop in Bagni Di Lucca for lunch and off I went again.

Bagni Di Lucca
The lovely bonus of these country roads is that you can just pull over for some pictures. 
Through San Marcello Pistoiese and Pistoia, back
to Pescia for a cool beer in the Piazza.

And Florence tomorrow when the trains are running again :) 
San Marcello Pistoiese in the distance

No comments:

Post a Comment