Wednesday 24 June 2015

Day 16, Vellano, Pescia, Italy

I am now getting smarter, and prepare my blog off line, so when I find some wifi it only takes a second to post!
Montecatini Alto Piazza
Treasures are hidden around every corner, as I discovered today. A mere 11 kilometres from Pescia is the beautiful town of Montecatini, a town known for centuries for its hot springs and its healing properties. Montecatini is actually made up of two towns, Montecatini Alto (up high) and Montecatini Terme, which is down the bottom. The Funicularo (cable car) takes you up to the top with stunning views over the valley. The cable car is the second oldest in Italy, dating from 1898.  It is a 1050 meters track with a 202 meters rise, and it's a slow and steady climb up, and very much worth the trip. The town is about to celebrate it's 700 year anniversary, pretty impressive.
I actually came here looking for the local swimming pool, and then realised how pretty it is. A warm day again, 30 degrees, so lots of walking in the shade! The pool? Yeah, I found it but had run out of time by the time I finished exploring Montecatini. Another day tomorrow 
Track going up


View over Monticatini Terme

No comments:

Post a Comment