Monday 23 November 2015

Day 167, Delhi, India




Dogs sleeping everywhere 
Early start to my day, as I am flying to Srinagar, in Kashmir, where I will be staying on a houseboat. At breakfast I met one of the ladies who will be on my tour starting Thursday so it was nice to have a quick chat before I left.
Temple entrance 

The taxi ride to the airport was certainly much faster than my ride the other night, although I still marvel at 7 lanes on the motorway and at least 10 cars driving side by side. The amount of near misses is staggering, but apart from the tooting there is no shouting or swearing from the drivers.
The weather in Srinagar is not so great, so we sat in the tarmac for close to 2 hours waiting to take off. Thankfully during this time we were given a snack box, which cracked me up, as it was exactly that, chocolate, cake, biscuits and chips!

We finally took off, in the air for an hour and then told Srinagar was still closed and we'd be returning to Delhi. Super! Another hour and a half at the airport waiting to rebook flights for tomorrow and back at the hotel after 3. Not much time for anything else then, but went for a long walk and realised that after only a couple of days here I'm really quite at ease. Apart from yesterday's pestering 'Tourist Officer', people are actually genuinely nice, make eye contact, smile! Once you get used to the dogs lying around everywhere, the crazy traffic, the street vendors cooking, and the smells, it's great! Tonight after dinner (which I had with the other lady on my tour), I quite happily walked down the street on my own, and never felt uncomfortable. The streets are crowded with shoppers still, I thought the markets were a Sunday thing, but Monday night and in full swing.
Shopping Delhi style 
Obviously this is where the purchases are made, shoes, bags, sarongs, jewellery galore. A great bustling atmosphere. 

No comments:

Post a Comment