Tuesday 3 November 2015

Day 147, Nice, Spain to Sheffield, England


And mum is happy 
I have arrived in England! Didn't sleep so well last night, bit excited I think. The flight was fine, 2.5 hours, uneventful, and got my bag really quickly. No customs to speak off, so through the gate fast. In fact, I messaged Shaun from the airport at 11.45, said all is good, I should be there by 2.30 ish. I had decided to hire a car while here, saves trains and so went to pick up my rental car that I had booked online, only to be told they didn't have a car available, and the agency I had booked it through hadn't let me know. Quick decision time, do I get the train instead or push on with the plan to rent? 
Anyway, at a cost of 3 times what I was originally going to pay, I got my rental. Wasn't very happy, the agency will hear from me.
I used my iPad for directions (I was being a cheapskate, but GPS was an extra $30 per day!) and I managed to navigate my way to Sheffield quite nicely I must say, even on the big motorways. A lot of fog in the countryside, slowing me down to a crawl.
A little foggy
Eventually I got to Sheffield at 3.30, where I had arranged with Shaun that I would just go to a coffee shop nearby his flat and message him, which unfortunately I couldn't do as my iPad had run out of battery by now. Very frustrated I finally knocked on his door close to four, so was very happy then. To top it off I got a parking ticket (has misread the sign) of £70. About $175! 
Sheffield is cold, only 9 degrees this afternoon, dark by 4.30 and raining, but the best thing is, it's great to see Shaun again and catch up on everything, especially the hugs I have missed out on. And I got to meet his girlfriend Hannah, who is lovely, so going to be a nice few days together here (despite the cold)

No comments:

Post a Comment