Sunday 22 November 2015

Day 166, Delhi, India


The Red Fort

Delhi is definitely not for the faint hearted I have come to conclude. I met 'my driver', or his 'brother ' this morning and after confusion,  the taxi took me to The Red Fort area. We had to park a wee way away, so a rickshaw driver took me to the gates. Well, that was an experience too. Through the markets, absolutely jam packed with scooters, tuk tuks and rickshaws, there were times we didn't move for at least 5 minutes, just gridlocked.
Gridlocked 
I still feel like a novelty, definitely not many westerners around! Still, little Indian girls smile happily from other rickshaws. Only when we got closer to the Red Fort did I see a few other foreigners. My rickshaw driver waits for me outside the gates. The Red Fort was totally crowded, being a Sunday it was being visited by plenty of locals. 
Chandni Chowk (market)

My rickshaw driver was there afterwards as promised, as was the taxi driver. Back to the hotel area, but not before a visit to the 'tourist office ', another attempt for me to book something. They were getting rather frustrated with me saying no I think, so a hasty retreat and a sour looking 'tourist officer'. Then a frustrating time trying to find an ATM, while being 'followed' and chatted to by I am sure was someone from the tourist office, trying to find out which hotel I was staying at. Maybe I was getting paranoid but was finally able to 'escape ' into the wee bar/ restaurant where I had dinner last night. Had a wander down a shopping street after lunch which was nice, very crowded but just a Sunday afternoon of people shopping. Dinner on the rooftop garden terrace at the hotel, with fireworks in the distance. Well, hope it's fireworks anyway!
Tomorrow early I am getting out of Delhi for a couple of days, something different to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment