Saturday 21 November 2015

Day 165 Delhi, India




A barber on the sidewalk 
Well, I experienced Delhi for the first day.
Wow, and what an experience it is. I had a great sleep despite being in the noisiest of hotels. It's basic but clean and the staff is friendly, plus I feel super safe which is always a good thing.
Put on my hiking shoes (very sensible in hindsight as the streets are pretty rough!) and set off down the street. I sort of had to stop every minute or so and just soak it in. It's an overwhelming assault on the senses, smell (curry), sight (the shops spilling onto the footpaths, the dogs, begging children, the vendors selling fruit, popcorn, tea and barbers on the sidewalk) and the sound. The sound, oh my, is a constant tooting, horns on cars, bikes, tuk tuks.
Came across two camels & elephants 
After a 30 minute walk someone must have thought I looked extremely lost (and I stand out like a sore thumb with my blond hair) and pointed in a direction and said there were markets that way, about a mile. Not that I was too worried about finding the markets, but he offered to take me in his 'Indian helicopter (tuk tuk) for 5 rupees. I said don't worry about the markets, how much for an hour, just tour around. 20 rupees, 50 cents! Well, as any good driver in a town like this, it all revolves around the mighty tourist dollar and he kindly took me to a bazaar, selling everything Indian you may ever want. I promptly fell in love with a beautiful silk embroidered rug, and could not resist! Next stop was a tourist office, where I did resist, but picked up a great idea for a few days of something different (will explain tomorrow).

Back in the tuk tuk, came across a couple of camels and elephants, just casually on the street!
Was meant to have met my driver again at 6 as he was taking me to a restaurant, but he stood me up, must have found a less cynical tourist, haha. So found my own way to a bar/ restaurant. A beautiful meal, this is real Indian food, just lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment