Friday 29 January 2016

Day 234, Battam Bomg, Cambodia


Fried rat anyone?

This morning we left for Battam Bong, a town 170 km's west of Siem Reap.
On the way we stopped at a silk farm ( I'm getting to know the whole process by now) as well as a quick stop that sold a huge variety of fried animals, including rats and birds.
Rather disgusting I must add, I had a very quick look and hopped back on the bus. We arrived at the hotel 2.30 ish and sadly I received the news I have been waiting for and dreading for the last few days. My friend Robyn sadly passed away this afternoon after a brief and courageous fight with liver cancer. Robyn was only 36 and leaves behind her beautiful son 9 year old son Liam.
I met Robyn about 5.5 years ago when I did some work at the Wellington branch of Turners and we clicked straight away. She had a cheeky sense of humour and we kept in close contact over the years, especially when I had the chance to spend time in Wellington again two and a half years ago. It's hard to believe this has happened so so quickly, just two and a half weeks since she was diagnosed.
Joanne and Antonia decided we needed a drink, and I didn't argue, so we walked into town and had a couple of gins. 
Dinner tonight was at a family home, Sambat and his wife had a beautiful dinner for us, and it was so interesting to talk to him about Cambodia and it's politics. So much to learn from this lovely man who was born just prior to the Khmer Rouge coming into power. He talked about his struggle to earn a dollar when he first came to the city and sending his children to school.
I'm pleased we decided to have dinner with them and got to meet the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment