Saturday 23 January 2016

Day 228, Saigon, Vietnam


The War Museum
Up early as the shuttle was booked to pick me up at 7.00 am. The shuttle turned out to be just a taxi with only one other passenger; a chatty 31 year old from England who has just been working in Saigon for 18 months as an English teacher. So we yacked the whole way to the airport, the taxi driver turned the radio volume up three times trying to drown us out, but to no avail!
The flight was delayed (Jetstar!) via taxi at 1.00 at the hotel. Silly me hadn't read all the trip notes, I wasn't staying at that one so ended up walking to the correct one, which was fine, stretch the legs! Saigon is so so busy, such a change again after HoiAn. No way I would venture out here on a bicycle.
I decided to go back to the War Remnants Museum. We went last Saturday with the tour but our visit was cut short as the museum was closing for lunch so we had to leave (bizarre, have they not heard of shifts?).
Anyway, there was lots I hadn't seen so I could now take my time and not feel rushed. 
What a moving experience. There are so many photos and stories; this war was well documented. There's a whole section on war photographers, as well as the after effects of Agent Orange, the expenditures by the U.S. on the war as well as sections on the atrocities and crimes committed. I have never been to a museum or exhibition where people are so hushed and subdued, there was no laughter, smiles or even loud voices. People, young and old, obviously so moved by the stories told and (graphic) photos that they wept openly, me included. The pain and suffering that human beings can inflict on one another is so great and sad. 
Back to the hotel and time to meet the new group. A mixed bunch, a few older guys, 4 single females, 30's, 40 & me plus a family with a daughter. Time will tell me, but I sat next to an English nurse and we had some great indepth chats, I think we will get on very well.
Some of this group have just finished the same tour I took in Vietnam. Tragedy struck as one of their passengers died after slipping on some steps. How very upsetting, a 78 year old gentleman. Doesn't bear thinking about!
Tomorrow Cambodia, looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment