Wednesday 3 February 2016

Day 238, Chiang Mai region, Thailand


Through the cabbage patch
And just when you start to think you have seen it all and 'been there, done that', you decide to go on a two day tour and have such a superb experience.
Inger and I had decided to go on this tour, which included a hike, a visit to an elephant park and other local attractions.
We met the others, all very quiet in the song taew to start with until the last two joined us; a young Dutch couple and he was a real chatterbox and broke the ice immediately.
An hour and a half drive in the by now crowded song tael, and first lunch. 
Then a visit to an elephant park where we got to bathe the elephants, actually get in the water with them and scrub them, which was great fun. Next the hike, three hours through both jungle and farm land. I know I did the three day hike on my intrepid tour, but I hate to admit I enjoyed this a bit better. The track was steep and it was bloody hot ( mid 30's), but the scenery and views were so spectacular on this hike. At one stage we walked in single file through cabbage fields!
A stunning sunset
Finally we arrived up the top of the track, at a tiny village and our home for the night. The view from the 'deck' was beautiful, over the valley and across to the next village on the hillside. 
We enjoyed a cold beer while watching a breathtaking sunset.
It's times like that you think, I am so lucky to be doing what I am; meeting interesting people, seeing so much of the world, I don't want this to end!
The Israeli and the Czech,
sharing their rum
Our group consists of two people from the Czech Republic, two from Austria, two from France, Holland, Israel, one from Spain and me! And everyone interesting and wanting to know about each other's travel, plans and goals. We all watched the stars out tonight, there is no light pollution here, and the sky is so so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment